If you’ve read my blog before, you know I’m not married to the concept of trends or “what’s hot now.” I’m a big believer in doing what you love and creating a style that feels like you.
That said, I’m still a designer – so I LOVE keeping up with the evolution of style. I wouldn’t be doing my job if I couldn’t recognize the trend du jour.
Sometimes I adore the “now” style – looking at you zinc tops – and sometimes I’m a little indifferent.
So love it or leave it, here’s my take on the top 10 hot trends for interior design in 2016.
- Zinc tops – the new granite. I’ve seen zinc tops on buffets, cocktail tables, dining room tables, you name it.
- Upholstery in unexpected places. No, upholstery is not new. But we’re talking upholstery in places you’ve never seen it! Upholstery on accent tables, buffets and even table bases.
- Decorative hardware. Decor is all in the details and hardware can make a huge statement, especially on the back of chairs.
- Gray finishes. Gray is the new beige and it is everywhere and on everything!
- Navy blue. This timeless color is making a bold statement in furniture and walls.
- Simple florals. The days have passed where busy florals were the style. Now it is one type of flower, or even just one single flower or branch in a big vase in the center of a table. It’s all about simple focal pieces.
- Edison bulbs. These vintage-style bulbs are everywhere!
- Hidden functions. Maybe it’s the new fascination with small spaces, but suddenly I’m seeing accent pieces with hidden functions. Nightstands that slide open to reveal a jewelry drawer or a secret charging station.
- Minerals. Rock-pink crystals, gems, rocks and minerals are being used on light fixtures, lamps and accessories.
- Accent wall. It’s no longer just about painting one wall a different color. Now you can add an upholstered wall behind your bed, lattice work in your dining rooms, or durarock as a faux finish.