“The heart of hospitality is about creating space for someone to feel seen and heard and loved. It’s about declaring your table a safe zone, a place of warmth and nourishment.” from Bread and Wine: A Love Letter to LIfe Around the Table with Recipes by Shauna Niequist.
I just love this quote. It is so true, the dining space is much more than a place to prepare and serve food. It’s a gathering place; the heart of the home.
As such, the space should be inviting, comfortable and a reflection of your family. The dinnerware and centerpieces you choose should compliment your personal style, set the tone for an event or just liven up the room. Check out this gallery from Southernliving.com for pictures of gorgeous table settings.
Here’s a few tips and tricks to help you create a tablescape which conveys hospitality and warmth.
1. Use the good china. Don’t be afraid to set the table with the “good dishes” you received as a wedding gift or the silverware you inherited. These family heirlooms will bring you much more joy on your table than they will trucked away in a china cabinet or packed away in a closet.
2. Mix and match. Don’t have a full set of matching dishes? No problem! Don’t be afraid to use a mix of coordinating patterns. Pair simple white plates with elegant crystal bowls. Mix up your linens. Use glass salad plates with patterned dinner plates. Use a variety of china in a similar color palette or design. There’s an endless array of ways to create a gorgeous look without using matching set.
3. Add a pop of color. Choose a bold color for accents such as an emerald tablecloth or red chargers underneath your white dishes. Use colored dishes with neutral linens and accents. Or pick coordinating shades of a palette such as a variety of blues from dark to light to provide contrast. And don’t forget the glitz that metallic accents add for a glamorous look.
4. Add seasonal touches. Pine cones in the fall, red and gold accents at Christmastime, pastel colors for spring, bright flowers in the summer…..these are all easy and beautiful ways to change up your table decor and reflect the changing seasons.
5. Have fun with your table. Most of all, remember that this is a creative way for you to welcome friends and family to your table. Whether your table is set with expensive china or pieces collected over the years, have fun with your tablescape! Visit hgtv.com for more ideas on creating the perfect place setting for your home.
When we host a dinner for friends and family we are providing so much more than food. We are serving love, laughter, togetherness and celebrating our relationships with those closest to us. When we look at it from this perspective, it’s no wonder we want everything to be perfect…from the spotless house to the nice bottle of wine and a delicious meal. Setting a beautiful table is just one more way to welcome guests to the home.